Millions of people enjoy the freedom and fun of riding a motorcycle on all types of roadways, from freeways to backwoods trails. In California, this method of transportation is very popular, but motorcycle riders also run great risks when they get into an accident on their bike. Unlike cars or trucks, the rider on a motorcycle rides with far less protection from their mode of transportation.
Motorcycle accidents generally mean physical damage occurs to the riders, even in minimal collisions. The rider is exposed to all dangers, including being thrown off the bike into other vehicles, signs, or objects like poles, fences, bridges and trees. These accidents can cause major bodily harm and expense. When your motorcycle accident was caused by someone else’s negligent behavior, obtaining fair compensation is easier when you work with an experienced California Motorcycle Accident Lawyer.
California Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
An excellent way to get help when you or a loved one have been involved in a motorcycle accident and that is to get your legal advice and representation from an experienced California Motorcycle Accident Attorney. There are many details they understand about this particular type of personal injury case that can also matter in your case. You gain the benefit of all their previous experience helping others obtain fair compensation for motorcycle injury claims, and your case will flow along smoother with their knowledge and skill in this area of law practice.
California Motorcycle Accidents
The state maintains records of all California motorcycle accidents every year. They track the types of accidents, statistics about the riders and other facts that help determine risk for this type of transportation. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) also publishes safety tips for motorcycle riders, based on accident information and statistics.
- The latest statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) show that in 2014, California experienced 519 motorcycle accident fatalities.
- Of the 2014 fatalities, 488 of the 519 riders killed were wearing helmet.
- There were 52 fatalities per 100,000 motorcycle registrations in 2013.
- In 2013, 24 percent of motorcycle operators killed had a BAC of 0.08 or higher.
- 29 percent of motorcycle operators killed in 2013 were improperly licensed.
Typical motorcycle accidents that cause injury or death include:
- Alcohol or Drug Use – this is the top cause of motorcycle accidents
- Collisions with other motor vehicles – Cars turn left in front of the biker or hit them from behind. Many drivers do not see motorcycle riders in a blind spot, or they just do not give them the same space as they would another car or truck. Head-on collisions usually result in a fatality of a motorcycle rider.
- Riders are not careful – they speed, enter curves to fast, do not see hazards like gravel on a curve
- Riders run into opening car doors because they ride too close to parked cars.
- Riders lack skill – they ride too fast, lock up front brakes, or do not follow basic safety rules.
- Weather problems cause many accidents. Slippery conditions are worse when you are on a motorcycle with only two wheels. Manhole covers get very slippery, as do road spills of oil or Diesel fuel.
- Buddies are not smart riders and take risks, stop suddenly, or make other unsafe moves.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Riders are at higher risk on a motorcycle than when they are inside a car or truck. This open air exposure allows them to be thrown off the bike if it is in a collision or hit from behind. There is no frame, like other vehicles have, to help keep them inside the vehicle and not tossed off into other vehicles or objects like trees, poles or signs. Injuries can be very severe, including limb amputation or death.
Your California Motorcycle Accident Lawyer can help you pursue justice when you are injured or when a loved one is killed in an accident caused by negligent behavior. California is a pure comparative negligence state, so even if you were partially at fault, you may be able to recover a percentage of your claims.
Medical treatment, work loss and recovery procedures can amount to a very expensive experience. If you do not seek fair compensation immediately, you may miss filing for help during the proper time limit. Your attorney knows all the regulations that apply to efforts to gain compensation for motorcycle accident injuries or a fatality. Their experience and knowledge will help your claims get processed and approved as fast as possible, without the mistakes that the average injured person may make on their own.
Personal Injury Attorney – Motorcycle Accidents
Injury expenses that may be claimed in a Personal Injury lawsuit over motorcycle accident damages and personal injuries include:
- Medical care – emergency, hospital, doctor, nurse, dentist, therapist and other medical personnel costs
- Follow-up care – rehabilitation, special equipment, on-going physical therapy, mental/emotional treatment, home care or nursing home care
- Work Loss – temporary or permanent disability, retraining or help finding a different job if you are unable to return to your previous employment
- Wrongful Death – survivors may claim compensation for funeral and burial expenses, and other related claims
- Pain and Suffering – by you or your survivors, this is an area that your attorney can be especially helpful in handling because many claims are denied. Expert witness can help substantiate these claims.
When you are wrongly injured due to the careless or negligent behavior of another person or company, you have legal rights under Personal Injury law to seek fair compensation for accident expenses. There are many elements to consider in motorcycle accident cases. The best way to handle this problem is to start with a free consultation with an experienced California Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer. These cases usually are taken on a contingency basis, so you only pay fees after your case is won.